Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lzoznzdzoznz Pzrzezpzpzyz

So if you've been to London Preppy recently, you'll notice that he tore into some unnamed blogger who wrote a rather acerbic post about him. So if you remember a few posts back, you'll know that I've written (briefly) about London Preppy myself. (Google "londonpreppy" and sure enough my blog comes up) Anyway, I get a few hits every day from the greater London area so I'm extremely paranoid that LP has come to my blog and I'm extremely worried that he saw what I wrote and took it the wrong way. And since I'm desperately working on getting him to marry me / acknowledge my existence, I've decided to post a little follow up explaining myself.

The thing about most bloggers is that we will never know what they look like. Some of us assume they are gorgeous. Some of us assume they look like Chris March from Project Runway. Either way, with nothing to go on, we let our imaginations do as they please and it becomes a non-issue. LP is an exception in that he does post pictures of himself, body AND face. (Yes face, despite the fact that he uses those tiny red lines to cover his eyes and preserve... anonymity? mystery? absurdity?) But the point is, we know what he looks like. And as a consequence, some readers will focus on his appearance more than anything else because there is no easier way to judge somebody.

There is no doubt in my mind that his pictures have attracted many a reader. But we shouldn't forget that it also brings it's fair share of problems. People will inevitably try to judge him by his appearance and bring him down out of envy, lust, or perhaps their own issues with gluttony and sloth (I can't say that I haven't). And when everyone is so fixated on how great he looks, they tend to forget that he is an even better writer. Anyway, I think people are wrong (myself included) when they assume that he shares his pictures out of vanity. The only monster is the one we've created. Really, it takes a lot of guts to be that open to strangers who are so willing to rip you apart.

3 comments:

D. said...

hopefully he'll read this and realize come to the states and marry you :)

can i be the best man? i mean best blogger...

dccised said...

actually, i don't think i want him to read it because it would be embarrassing. i just needed to clear my conscience.

London Preppy said...

I'll pretend I didn't read this then, but you if I had I;d say you sound very sweet. And thanks for what you say. But...I didn't read it, OK?