Thursday, September 23, 2010

Be Honest, Have I Gotten Frat?

I never mustered up the courage to pledge a fraternity because let's face it, I don't look good in a jersey tank, I don't have very much testosterone, and I like penis. Mostly though, I just don't know how to act casually around that many attractive, young men without sweating profusely and having an absolute nervous breakdown. And I find it somewhat difficult to become close friends with men because in my eyes, building a friendship is all just a prelude to sex.

So I spent my first three years of college wondering what life was like within fraternity walls. I wondered what brotherhood and social solidarity felt like. I wondered if all the brothers walked around naked after going to the gym together to lift those bar things with two heavy round things on the end. But I accepted the fact that in this case, my ideal-self was too far my actual-self.

At the beginning of this school year, a friend suggested that I pledge his business fraternity. A glimmer of hope emerged. I guess I don't look that bad in a jersey tank.

So I rushed as a senior, clinging pathetically to my last chance to realize a 4-year dream, clumsily peddling myself to people half my college age, eating free buffalo wings.

I was invited to an interview and was actually kind of proud of my old, shriveled self until I realized virtually everyone made it past the first round. Also, everybody in the room looked about three years younger than me and I found it hard not to hum Hilary Duff's "Sweet Sixteen" in my head. It's my time to shine, Sweet Sixteen.

I had a terrible time answering questions like, "If you were a song, what would you be?", "If you were a sound, what would you be?", and "If you were an animal, what would you be?"
It was even more difficult (read: humiliating) trying to impress brothers younger than me with witty (read: retarded) answers and watching their expressionless, uninterested faces dotted with acne.

I received an email this morning, thanking me for my interest. And like Vinny on last week's episode of The Jersey Shore, I felt at once betrayed and insulted that my vulnerability would be thrown back in my face, that my efforts would be unrewarded, that my frat dreams would come to an end. But I guess I will just have to accept that my lower-standard-self is still too far from my actual self.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know business fraternity's turned people away. Contact the school paper, sexuality discrimination (whether or not that's true is besides the point)!

William said...

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. All that glisters is not gold.

Groucho said...

I would never join a club that would have someone like me as a member.

Tommy said...

They are obviously missing out, you should them an email back with a link to your awesomely witty and thoughtful blog.

I would like a link to it as well.

Mike said...

what is a business fraternity? you buy white out and make IRS jokes?

however, I heard if you pretend to be your wanta be self everyday, eventually others will start believing...

Flo said...

Am I the only one who is more interested in that pic dc cised tweeted about than this frat story?!

Hmm? said...

the picture's probably one of a donkey, but I don't mind finding out if it's otherwise :P

jimbo said...

I'm expecting the penis to be ugly, but only two to go. so why not, innit?

The Illustrious D said...

Vinnie just got offered $30,000 from Playgirl to make a cast of his reportedly massive wang.

You are in good company.

Wilson said...

Picture Please?

Straight Guy from NYC said...

OK finally back to your writing self.

If you really wanted to become part of that fraternity you would have done it. You're better out. Too much individuality in you to be fraternized.

SGfNY said...

By the way did you see this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/nyregion/30suicide.html?src=me&ref=general

NICO said...

update your fucking blog already.


jesus, twitter has made you lazy.

Oldyeller said...

That wasn't very nice NICO. He may never post again just to spite readers such as yourself. Unfortunaely, I am not a Twitter fan & thus will probably never see another DC Cised update.